Starting in 2003, VISIONS, in partnership with the W. K. Kellogg Foundation, implemented the program called YES! (Youth Engagement Strategies). This involved anti-racism training and consultation to youth and adults in youth development programs throughout the country. The success of this program provides a model for youth development which can be applied to many other organizations.
The overall goals for this work are:
- empowerment of youth to address race and cultural issues in their communities;
- enhancement of intergenerational relationships as youth and adults engage in community problem solving around racism and other "isms"; and
- promotion of positive inter-group relations.
With grant funding from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, VISIONS began the LEGACY PROJECT FOR YOUTH. In Summer 2008, VISIONS Youth Consultants, with adult support, conducted an 8-week youth program. The program educated a core group of Boston area youth and youth workers to use the VISIONS framework to have discussions across barriers of race, class, gender, etc. and prepare them to effectively communicate with adults and to empower them to become leaders and catalysts for positive change. The youth also planned and implemented a successful community performance event.
VISIONS, Inc. provides workshops, technical assistance and training for youth, and the adults who support them, within the context of their on-going community activities. Enhancing youth leadership skills is a key component as well as creating opportunities for young people and adults from across the country to engage with others who are addressing issues of racism and other "isms" in their communities. To gain further information, go to www.myspace.com/visionsyouth.
Youth services and resources currently offered include:
- 2-day and 4-day workshops on diversity, inclusion, and multiculturalism for youth
- workshops on effective community organizing that youth can use to create their own community events
- programs that can be tailored to youth groups based on their specific needs
- Youth Consultants ages 16-24 who can teach youth peer leadership skills
- Youth Development Kit (available summer 2009) of DVD's and printed curriculum materials for purchase and use by adults and youth in programs that work with youth
View our video "Talking about Race"
For more information, please Contact Us